Monday 25 January 2016

Back to School

I'm approaching this week with a little bit of trepidation. After a year and a half of homeschooling, my boy (now 8) is going back to regular school. It's a little nerve wracking but I think it's the right decision - he's keen to return and I may or may not also be keen for him to return. My daughter starts school this year so it came down to the decision - homeschool them both or send them both back to school. I didn't think my sanity could cope with homeschooling the two of them (my hat is off to those of you who homeschool multiple children, seriously!) so we are giving regular schooling another shot. I figure if it doesn't work out, we can always homeschool again and I'll be that awful indecisive mother they all talk about in the staffroom! ;)

So what does this have to do with quilting or sewing or crafting of any type?! Well. Naturally I can't send the kids to school without something made by Mummy. Cos I'm a sap of the first kind. I'd picked up some fabric awhile back for library bags and just had to sit down and get it done. With less than a week til school starts, my procrastination wasn't too terrible.



Naturally it's Frozen for my daughter and Star Wars for my son - the running theme in our household for the past oh I don't know, ever. I went for a simple lined book bag with a single long strap. Honestly the thinking-about-the-project part took way longer than the actual making. When will I ever learn that lesson? Just sit down and sew!






 Most importantly, the library bags got the kids' tick of approval and my Mummy guilt (that never ends) is assuaged that my children will go to school with something handmade tucked into their schoolbag. So wish me luck this week - I foresee much sew-therapy in my near future.

14 comments:

  1. Good luck! It is so hard as a parent to make the "right" decision for your kids. But no parent is perfect. Our parents made mistakes, we make mistakes, and one day our kids will make mistakes with their own children. And yet all those imperfect parents turn out generations of people who are pretty OK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teaching isn't as easy as everyone thinks. My mother taught for 36 years. I never homeschooled, but, I saw friends do it. Not easy. Good luck for both your kids and you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sugh cute bags & such a great mom you are. It's the hardest thing in the world trying to figure out what's best for your kids, but you're doing great. Just remember that you're right, no experience is irreversible...or ever wasted. Hugs to you, friend. Enjoy the quiet time again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sugh cute bags & such a great mom you are. It's the hardest thing in the world trying to figure out what's best for your kids, but you're doing great. Just remember that you're right, no experience is irreversible...or ever wasted. Hugs to you, friend. Enjoy the quiet time again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't have home schooled for s day and a half let alone a year and a half! Well done, and I hope today goes well for all of you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck to you and the children, this parenting thing is never easy but you are doing your best for them and that's what matters. Have fun sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck!!! I am sure your children already LOVE the bags for their books.
    You know how I look up at you for handling your children and your business, don't you?
    We are proud of you!!!
    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH these are really cute! These are really cute, and I know they will be excited to use them, too!
    Good luck in the new year. ( You will adjust whatever needs tweaking!)
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck to you Momma! I'm sure it will be much harder on you than it will be your kids. They are young enough I'm sure that they'll quickly learn the routine of public school and have lots of friends very quickly. It is you who will be sitting there sewing and your brain will be wondering off and on most of your days wondering what they're doing, how they are getting along, are they having trouble, are they ok and a million other questions, I'm sure. Just don't run that needle over your fingers, ok? They'll be fine Momma.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that we, as parents, have the choice to homeschool or to send them to traditional school. Bottom line, they will be educated and will be just fine. =)

    I could totally relate to the over thinking. I am in that mode big time. It's paralyzing!! I made myself make a quilt top yesterday. One I had thought about for far too long. I just bit the bullet and cut into that fabric. Why is that so hard sometimes???

    ReplyDelete
  11. So I see the Paper Bag Princess on the top of the book pile. Our kids (now 37 and nearly 40) had Bob Munsch for a preschool teacher when he wrote the Paper Bag Princess. Our copy says, To Jennifer, who is much like Elizabeth. Amazing to me to see one of his books on "the other side of the world". Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here's a big hug, Kristy. Holding thumbs for you that all goes well. It's a really positive sign that your son wants to go back, I hope he makes lots of good friends.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Understand procrastination over a project, I wish I could just "do it" instead of over thinking. BTW the bags are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sometimes all that thinking time about the project is the reason the sewing comes together in a snap though, so don't be too hard on yourself.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read each and every word! I'll do my best to reply to them either via email or here on the blog, when time permits!